Dec 16, 2006

Adungus!

This morning I went for a walk to get some exercise. My plan was to go to the bottom of "Tank Hill", buy some drinks (fizzy rinks/sodas) and walk back up with a backpack full of them. Walking down, I saw another hill at the bottom that had a dirt road going up it, and trees on top. It looked interesting, and it looked like I might be able to get a good view of Lake Victoria to the south, from the top - so I checked it out. It ended up being a rock quarry, with the people breaking the rocks down by hand - from chipping huge pieces off the rock face, all the way down to breaking them up into gravel sized pieces. Wow. I got talking to one guy up there and told him how hard the people were working. He was telling me that a lot of people can't get work here and do what they can to earn a living to support themselves and their families - e.g. working in this quarry. I'm still finding it hard to take all this in - it's so foreign to me.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be putting on some weight here - in the afternoon we had another Christmas party! This one was on the compound and everyone from the Kampala Christian Church Network (the churches that the team here have planted) was invited. About 400 people came and it was excellent. We had African caterers bring food (matooke, rice, potatoes, a spinich type thing, g-nut sauce, meat, and fizzy drinks). The highlight for me was a group of guys who brought instruments called "Adungus" that were like harps. There was one big one and about 5 small ones, and when they played it was so beautiful that I almost started crying! *chuckle*. I took a video of it with my camera - I wish I could post it, but it's too big.

In the evening, Eva (Aggie's best friend) and her boyfriend Joseph came over to The Gatehouse & we watched "Monsters Inc" and ate some of the food that Aggie had brought me the day before. Another special day in Africa.

Click here to see more photos.

No comments: