Dec 7, 2006

Dinner at The Kotoli's

Aggie asked me to come over to her place this evening, and I met 4 of her 5 kids for the first time: Sarah (11), Joshua (12), Abbey (a boy, 14), and Sharon (16). Brian (18) is at a boarding school up in northeastern Uganda. I was pretty nervous at first, but relaxed after a while as I got to know them better. They seem like great kids! Unbeknownst to me, Aggie had planned a special dinner. Her and Sharon cooked dried smoked fish in "g-nut" (ground nut, I think they're the same as peanuts) sauce, an eggplant and onion dish, deep fried potatoes (just like back in Australia at the take-away places!), rice, and a freshly squeezed orange and passionfruit juice drink (that they made as well!). She knew that I loved dried fish in g-nut sauce (I had it last time I was here), and that I really liked eggplant, so it really touched my heart - I had tears in my eyes! She set this all out for me as the guest of honour before anyone else ate, and we then enjoyed eating and talking together. After we finished, her kids were cleaning up everything outside and quietly singing in Luganda (the unofficial language here, the official is English). I asked Aggie what they were singing, and it was something like "be patient and have faith when you go through troubles - God will bring you through...". How many kids would be singing this, as they clean up without even being asked! Wow. An evening I'll never forget!

No comments: