Dec 18, 2006

Meeting Aggies' Family


Today I met Aggies' Mother & extended family - a culturally significant event here in Uganda. She had been planning this ever since (actually before) I arrived. I was accompanied by John & Rebekah and their girls, and Deo (another of the pastors here), which was also significant, as they carry weight as "character witnesses" for me. Many things are done in community here in Uganda, and as well as this being a "Meet the parents" event, this was also a chance for Aggies' extended family to approve (or disapprove?) of me as a potential husband for her. There were about 30 people there - most of Aggies' brothers and sisters (7 out of 8), their kids, and other relatives (e.g. uncles), in-laws, and friends. It was a big event! Most of the ladies were dressed up - some in traditional African dresses. Everyone had gone to a lot of effort cooking food & preparing. So as you can guess, I was a bit nervous! I pre-decided to just be myself & rest in who I am as God's child - even if they didn't approve of me. But it went really well! All of her relatives came before us (me, John, Rebekah & Deo - the photo here), we introduced ourselves, and Agnes gave a short speech to formally say that her & I are in a relationship, and that we are going to walk in God's light in this relationship as trust Him to guide us. Then each of them came by me & introdued themselves. After this, all the food was brought in (*mouth watering*) and we all ate, music was played on a stereo, we talked, and danced (to my horror, but it went ok!). At the end, Aggies' Mum sat on a mat and I came to her with a gift, and she took my hand in hers, which was really special as well: many people here believe in a superstition that if you shake the hand of your in-law (or potential in-law), when you get old, your hands will start shaking. Aggie didn't know if her Mum would shake my hand or not - but she did - so that was really significant to me!

All her relatives were really friendly, as you can see in the photo here, and afterwards Aggie said her family were very happy, and that it went very well. Webale Mukama (Thankyou Lord)! I'm still processing all of this - I'm still experiencing culture shock here to a fair degree - but I'm thankful that her family are so accepting and friendly.

5 comments:

jac said...

Simon! I can't believe you're actually there. You forgot to let me know we were leavin' I don't know know if you noticed or not but I missed the flight. Ha Ha. This is awesome that you have a blog. Make sure to keep it updated because I will be checkin' it out daily. I know that you'll be taking enough pictures to keep it fresh! Tell everyone there I said hey! You may have to remind them I'm the one with the Cowboy hat. Look forward to hearing more about Uganda!

P.S. I'm so jealous

Mfarms said...

Just wanted to say we are praying for you and that God gives you wisdom, knowledge and insight. Have fun! Keep intouch. David & Susan Marik

jabbman42 said...

Great to hear from ya. You might as well change the name of you blog to 3 months of eating in Uganda. :) Glad the "meet the family" thing went well. We've got ya in our prayers and we'll keep an eye on you here.

Beth said...

Hey Simon! Kevin showed me your blog. Wow--Uganda!!! I have a blog also for our daughter.
www.bethyann.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This is some awesome stuff, Simon! Thanks for letting me know about your blog... The grasshoppers look yummy.. I was so afraid to tell you about my habit of eating them when I found them in my bathroom...but I guess I could've..
Anywho! Congratulations and all that great friend stuff I'm supposed to say...
:)