Dec 24, 2006

Christmas Eve with The Kotolis


A different Christmas this year! Most people celebrate it here in Uganda, but there's nowhere near as much Christmas hype, which in a way is nice, but I think I sort of missed the atmosphere - hearing Christmas songs playing everywhere, lots of decorations etc. If I was in the U.S. or Australia I'd probably be complaining about the opposite though, *chuckle*. After meeting with people at the Kibuli celebration point in the morning (where surrounding house churches meet together on Sundays), Aggie & I & her daughter Sarah walked to their place, where Aggie had once again made an awesome meal, including 3 types of meat (fish, beef, and chicken) with all the African fixin's. For most people here, meat is the least likely thing they'll have with their meal, since it's the most expensive, so THREE kinds of meat would probably be the equivalent of us having like a whole leg of ham, a whole turkey, AND oven roasted beef all at the same meal. So this was a really special meal, and I know Aggie also made it special for me.

After we ate, we opened our presents. Aggie gave me a traditional African shirt (green, my favorite colour - very nice!) and I gave her kids some games that I brought from the U.S. (Uno and Monopoly), and a few other small things, which they really liked. To Aggie, I gave a portable CD/MP3 player with 3 MP3 CD's full of my favorite music - "Music from my heart for Aggie". She loved it has been listening to it heaps since! The photo here is of Joshua, Aggie, Abbey, and Sarah, *smile*.

In the evening, Aggie & I went and saw a group performing traditional African dance, as well as comedy (the MC guy was hilarious). It was excellent. The highlight of it was when the female dancers put clay pots on their head, starting with 1, and then kept adding a pot until they had like 9! We drank African tea & hot chocolate as well (*mouth starting to water again*). An excellent Christmas eve.

No comments: