Dec 17, 2006

Aggie's House

After meeting with the church at Kibuli ("Chi-booli") this morning, I went and saw Aggie's house that she has been fixing up. It's on a small area of land that her Mum has given her in an area alled "Katwe" ("Kat-way"), right next to her Mum's place. It used to be made of mud and reeds, but she said that it was falling apart, so she's having it rebuilt with bricks. She was hoping to have it finished before I arrived, but the guy who was building it wanted more money from her, so she couldn't do anything else on it. God provided for her, and it's now moving forward, although slowly, because she's had a hard time getting the guy to actually come and work on it (sounds familiar). She hopes to have it finished this week - they need to put the roof on, cement the floor, and plaster the walls. I think it's going to be at least a couple of weeks though, knowing contractors (no offence, any reliable, hard-working contractors reading this).

Aggie is renting the place she's in at the moment - where she's staying with her kids. She took me there again (the 2nd time now) and had some fish, rice, and spinich-like stuff prepared for me. I'm really enjoying the food here, did I mention that?

In the evening Aggie & I went to a restaurant near the compound called "Cafe Roma" - a Mzungu place with outdoor seating - very romantic - this is the 3rd time we've been there now. We enjoyed talking & eating, and then more talking as we wandered back up the hill to the compound, where she caught a taxi van home & I returned to my hobbit-hole.

Tomorrow is a big day - I'm going to meet Aggies family - her Mum, most of her brothers and sisters, and more relatives I think! John, Rebekah and their girls, and Deo (one of the pastors of the house churches) are going to to too. It's going to be a pretty big deal! Aggie has asked me to bring 3 loaves of bread, 3 containers of milk, and 5kg (11lbs) of sugar - culturally, she said it would not be good to come empty handed! I'm a bit nervous, but am imagining if this were me
introducing her to my family - I would be really excited, so that helps me relax, and look orward to it!

No comments: